Monday, June 29, 2015

Just thought you would like to know.

     I am hypocritical.  There, I said it.  Can you?  It's not that I intend on being hypocritical.  That's not the issue.  Nor do I say it to express my guilt and remorse so that you can emulate me.  That's not the issue.  I could say it to pat myself on the back and put myself one step above everyone else.  That's not the issue either.  The issue is that in saying that I am hypocritical I am telling myself the truth and am in need of careful watchfulness on a daily basis regarding all areas of how I live.  I was born in sin and will die with sin.  So will you.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that Jesus died for ALL of my sins past, present and future.  He knows that I am hypocritical.  He forgives me when I ask and partners with me to do better next time.  Jesus is not hypocritical and can be trusted always to be God. 
     So, what is hypocritical?  Simply stated, being hypocritical is not being true to who you represent yourself to be.  The title of the blog is "Christian Walk" and that implies that I am a Christian.  Your idea of what a Christian is and is not may be different.  That's okay.  We all have out lives to live as we see fit.  Sometimes we need to give grace to others.  I speak in tongues.  Some do not.  I need to see that as okay and not some missing link to life in Christ.  I cannot go through a day without sinning.  You might think you are able to do so.  Good for you!  However, that's not the truth for either of us.  Some issues are specific and necessary.  Admitting who we really are in light of Scripture is essential when issues are specific.  We all sin.  Paul sinned.  The disciples sinned.  Your pastor and mine sinned.  They all did so every day of their lives.  That's what the Bible says.  We will be free from sin when we go home to be with Jesus.  Not before.
     What do we do with someone who is hypocritical?  The Gospels tell us to first examine ourselves and remove the log from our eyes before we try to take the splinter out of our brother/sisters eyes.  I don't know about you but that, for me, takes a long long time.  Self examination prior to looking into other people's junk will be a consuming task as the Holy Spirit reveals areas of your life that are not in line with what Jesus asks us to be.  Whatever we think, say or do are areas where we need to examine and make right what has been made wrong.  Here is the important point:  WE WILL BE SO BUSY WITH THIS TIME CONSUMING TASK THAT WE WILL NO LONGER BE TRYING TO MAKE OTHERS LIKE US.  Nope.  Should we take the Gospel mandate seriously we will spend our time and energy becoming more like Jesus that we won't even find ourselves meddling in others life choices.  That leaves Jesus and the Holy Spirit to work in the hearts, minds and souls of others.  You and I certainly don't have time.
     Don't misunderstand me; we have an obligation to help the brother/sister in sin to turn from that sin.  We don't have the right or the power to make that happen.  So, use the tools that you have.  Pray.  The Bible tells us that "the prayers of a righteous man avails much."  Pray for so and so and then leave them on the altar.  Go back to dealing with your stuff.  The middle word in that quote is "righteous".  It's the prayer of a RIGHTEOUS man that avails much.  Not the prayer of a hypocritical man.  In Matthew 6:33 Jesus tells those listening (that's a clue) that they are to be "perfect even as your Father in heaven is perfect."  Great!  Where does that leave me?  The Greek actually renders this verse to say, "being made perfect as your Father in heaven is perfect."  The action is ongoing and not once in a lifetime.  That's what sanctification is all about.  We all are in need of the Savior and the Holy Spirit to make it trough one day at a time much less to that time when we are called home. 
     I am hypocritical.  I am forgiven.  I am saved.  I am being sanctified.  I am fixed on the goal of heaven.  How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment