Friday, June 26, 2015

Breathing is essential!

     Without breathing life would cease.  But what if you stopped breathing for a minute by holding your breath?  Or how about the stories of people who have drowned or died by other means then came back from deaths door?  Breathing is good for any number of functions of your body.  Without oxygen for extended times we risk brain damage.  Breathing helps the blood be oxygenated which in turn keeps your body healthy.  Breathing expels carbon oxide which is essential for plant life.  So breathing is essential for all living things.  Breathing in coal dust, smoke, toxic chemicals and such are not good for you or I.  The smog of the city combined with the dangers in the work environment just exacerbate the problem.  Breathing can be dangerous even if it's essential.
     The gift of breathing was given by God to Adam and we all enjoy that gift day in and day out.  We enjoy breathing whether we are awake or asleep.  So, God has created a world for us where we are able to continue to use that gift.  We take breathing for granted though.  I have sleep apnea and for quite a few years would find myself waking up gasping for my breath.  With sleep apnea I stop breathing and need to be restarted.  This interrupts my sleep and causes me to be tired when I wake up.  Sometimes I'm even grouchy.  Several years ago I received a CPAP machine that makes sure that I continue breathing through the night.  Medical marvel never cease to amaze me.  With a restful sleep I have a better attitude and am able to accomplish much more. 
     The gift of physical breath by God is amazing.  Every time I think of my children being born and their first breath of life, I am amazed all over again.  The ability of the body to "start" after leaving the womb is amazing!  God also gave the gift of the Holy Spirit for us to further enjoy his presence and the life we have been given.  We are encouraged to breathe in the Holy Spirit and then live the spirit filled life.  Like our physical breathing, God made the spiritual breathing something needed to sustain the Christian life.  As believers we have been born again and upon our spiritual birth we have been given the breath of life which we continue to breathe in and our on a daily basis. 
     In my years as a police officer I was privileged to administer CPR to a number of individuals who had stopped breathing.  The training was important in order for me to do the job properly.  Administered incorrectly would either render the CPR ineffective or do damage to the person who had stopped breathing.  With each time I administered CPR the story was different and the outcome was either life or death.  Breathing life into someone is exhilarating while attempting to do so and failing is depressing.  Having failed several times I wondered if I was doing any good.  When I would help someone and save their lives, I knew that I was doing good.  Conversely, when I share the Gospel with someone the effect can be the same.  Some will hear and live while others will not hear and die.  Both choices are theirs.  Indeed breathing is essential.

No comments:

Post a Comment