Sunday, April 12, 2015

"Nobody wants to play rhythm guitar behind Jesus."

    "Everybody wants to be the lead singer of the band."  That's a line from a song from the late 60's or early 70's.  I first heard it when I was in Germany working with YWAM (Youth With A Mission).  The phrase and tune stuck in my head and has surfaced many times over the many years.  The line resonated with me as I've voluntarily taken charge of my life over and over and made many a mess in the process.  Perhaps it does for you as well.  We can use a lot of different excuses to try and avoid taking responsibility for our actions.  However, there is no excuse for our telling God "no."  It's hard to combat the worlds demand that we stand up and bow down to the worlds message and choices.  While I would like to have an easy Christian life; I am attacked spiritually at every front.  Sometimes the attacks are successful and sometimes not.  These are all dependent upon where I've placed myself in Jesus' life for me.  The wording sounds awkward and a bit out of place.  The Christian should take themselves out of the control scenario and place themselves in the obedient scenario.  That would mean that I put Jesus first in every area of my life.  Why is it that we try so hard to be the lead singer of the band?
     In the world the reigning excuse is the "blame game."  People are quite imaginative when they play the "blame game."  Blame can be as simple as "the dog ate my homework." and as complex as "do you have a few moments so I can explain?"  The higher the stakes the higher the need for a complex excuse.  That excuse needs to be examined and eliminated from the Christians life.  That is easier said than done.  Or is it?  I don't seem to have a problem taking the praise for my good choices and for what I've done that benefits the Lord.  Sometimes I need to convince God that my actions, thoughts and such are the best for His will.  That sounds a bit off but again, it's the way we think.  Any way you take it or look at it, "it" will always be less than what it can be if it's me leading the band.  The real question that needs to be asked and answered by each of us who claim Jesus as Lord and Savior is: "Do I choose to be leadable, teachable and accountable to God?"  If the answer is anything less than "Yes." then I am in charge and God isn't.  Simple we would think.
     Never one to be content to leave something alone I tend to jump into the foray and act out of my impulse, bias, or other element than to look first to Jesus.  Why is that?  Could it be that I really do want to be the god of my own world?  Does my need to be seen as something more than I am intersect with my daily life in such a way that God ends up having little or no say in my life?  If this resonates with you, like me, you float between being the one who plays rhythm guitar and being the lead singer of the band.  I tend to sing the best when I'm in the car alone or the shower or home alone.  Why?  Because I don't sing very well.  When I am alone there is no comparison to be made and I can convince myself I am the lead singer of the band before thousands of adoring fans.  I don't think this fantasy is just mine.  The older I've become, the worse my singing has become.  Here is the good news.  To God, when I am in right relationship, my voice is sweet and wonderful to him.  It's here in that place that my heart longs to be.  I'm not able to play the guitar or sing but I can make a joyful noise to the Lord when I'm in right relationship with Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment