Monday, February 9, 2015

No Soliciting!

     Recently I went by a store and saw the "No Soliciting" sign beside the door.  It bothered me enough that I went into the store and asked them why they didn't want my business.  Puzzled they asked me what made me think they didn't want my business.  I explained the meaning of "No Soliciting" and waited.  "Well, that doesn't mean you!"  No, I knew that.  It meant if you have money you are welcome to come in and leave it with them.  Years ago I was in downtown Chicago at a swanky store.  I was looking for some white shirts.  I had on a T-shirt, shorts and sneakers.  I couldn't for the life of me find anyone who was willing to help.  There were people in the department but they were all "busy" with more important stuff like folding and stacking white shirts.  I left the store without my shirts.  The next day I went into the same store with the same sales people looking for the same shirts.  Workers were falling over themselves to help "Sir" with his every desire.  The difference?  I was dressed up in a suit and tie. 
     The examples I have just shared join together to show how conditional people are in so many different ways.  Have the means to buy something they have that you want (or don't) and you are welcome to shop in their stores.  Just window shopping, stay outside.  Browsing, make it quick.  We get paid by commission.  Don't have money?  Want to get out of the rain or cold for a few moments?  Sorry, no soliciting.  Unless you have something to give people the message of "No Soliciting" is prominently on display even if there isn't a sign.  I don't wear white shirts and ties anymore.  My wife and I were looking for a car years ago.  We both hate working with salespeople.  We walked onto one lot in particular and were bombarded by salespeople.  We would dismiss one and another appeared.  Finally, I asked them to just leave us alone.  The salespeople informed us they couldn't because of the rules of their employer.  We left. 
     More often than not I have been approached by people who want to share their life history with me.  It doesn't matter where, what I am doing, or even when I am with someone.  People find themselves very comfortable to talk with me, share their deepest secrets, and to go away lighter than when they had arrived.  I've felt that way in some churches while others shout "Run!"  Why such different responses?  Some Christians and some churches (from any faith) have very large signs that read "NO SOLICITING!"  IF you don't have something to bring to the table, we don't want you here.  If you don't have anything to give me, I don't want to waste time giving you what I have been given.  Just where in the Bible is this laid out as behavior for the believer or the church?  I've gone back over the Bible and cannot find a "No Soliciting" clause. 
     There have been quite a few times that I was guilty of this practice.  I'm sorry for that and if you who are reading this are one of the people I have sinned against; I am sorry.  The message of the Gospel should never be denied to anyone.   That would include our enemies.  You have been guilty too!  We need to begin a "Take Down The Sign" campaign!  Like Jesus, we should be surrendering our lives in such a fashion that the people watching us would be so intrigued that they ask us to give them what we have.  In order to help those who are hungry we must be hungry ourselves for more of Jesus and less of me.  You will be amazed as you look at other people from today on.  Choose to be ready to share the Gospel and grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment