Friday, February 6, 2015

I love being wrong!

     When I am wrong there is no further argument.  At least from me.  Sometimes people react in such a way that we are left wondering what happened in their childhood.  Some people just need us to be wrong so that they can be right.  Often this isn't so much about truth or integrity.  This situation  becomes about winning and losing.  Winning is the only choice for some people.  Thus relegating all others into the "losers" category.  Have a different idea?  You are wrong.  Have a different opinion?  That opinion is wrong.  Think a certain way?  You are once again wrong.  Some people give up on every being right and their lives reflect that choice. 
     I once read "My wife can read my mind.  She knows I'm wrong even before I say or do anything."  There is some truth to that when you consider my history and consistent wrong choices. Doing things that have previously failed or gone wrong often draws this fatalistic comment from our critics:  "Oh no, not again!"  The doomsayers among us perhaps don't know the full impact of their negativity.  They, more often than not, just want their lives to stay status quo.  Obtaining new information causes us to either deny that information or to act upon it.  While people have spent lifetimes denying; others have spent their lives moving forward.  I'm so glad that our history of inventions and inventors shows that trying one more time can pay off for so many. 
     Being wrong opens the doors for my brain to explore so  many options that "right" folks don't have room for.  To the Christian this mindset doesn't expand the family of God (being "right") but restricts that family and its life.  It's almost refreshing when someone tells me that my Christian thoughts are wrong.  Often these ideologies come from generations of well intentioned dragons fighting hard to contain the Christian message and mission.  "We don't do it that way."  "We don't think that way."  We don't believe that way."  Their lives are so full of "don't" that "do" isn't even an option.  For them.  So, I challenge the status quo and am judged to be "wrong" on any number of levels.  So be it.  THEIR idea of my being wrong never surpasses Jesus' idea that He is right. 
     There are, according to Jesus, two sins.  Just two.  Not three or four or 600.  There are two.  The first sin is forgivable and the second sin is not.  Hmmm...  Focusing on the second sin is the best path but is the least taken.  Most focus on the forgivable.  The second sin is the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.  Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is our having heard the truth of Jesus, know it to be true and been bumped by the Holy Spirit and THEN choosing to reject Jesus and forgiveness of all those sins implied by the first sin.  People don't want to hear right or wrong in their personal lives but are all too quick in pointing out the sins of others.  Despite what my actions have shown, I am forgiven.  Many don't like that.  Despite what others may want; I'm going to Heaven when I die.  Why?  Because I am forgiven AND have not committed sin number two.  This is truth for all. 
     It doesn't matter what others judge to be true, false, right, wrong, or absurd in my life.  Because I am a sinner they are all probably right at some point in my life.  That doesn't make me wrong.  This doesn't make my wrongs right either.  Whenever I am wrong and don't know it; God finds a way through some means to let me know I am wrong.  That can be through the Bible, a small child, the elements of nature or even my spouse!  Yikes!   When I am shown by God to be wrong I am left with making a choice.  I can make excuses or I can make a way to move forward changed by the admitted wrong.  Excuses are easier at first but they catch up with you over time.  Being wrong is an opportunity to grow and see what the truth and right is all about. 
     I love being wrong.  It takes away people supposed power over me and humbles me so that God can make changes to my life for His good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment