Monday, October 7, 2019

Listening versus hearing

     Ever know anyone with selective hearing?  Maybe you know someone who listens but doesn't hear you.  Then there are those who listen but have their minds already made up and are going without your input anyway.  Listening versus hearing can be very frustrating and cause much discord and anger.  As people we all have had problems with both listening and hearing.  Perhaps we just don't know  the difference between the two opposites?!  We listen all the time and even when we are asleep.  People in coma's have been shown to be able to listen and even hear!  Studies show that babies in womb listen and hear as well reacting to our words as well as our emotions.  Sometimes we even pretend to listen and hear when in fact we haven't a connection with the person or group of persons we are interacting with.  Public speakers are very aware of when their audience is and isn't listening.  They know that if you aren't listening, you aren't hearing either.  Hearing is different than listening as you have already committed to listen and are now ready to hear.  This isn't reversed.  Often our hearing is manifested in action of physical or mental nature while listening can "go in one ear and out the other."
     Some of you know I've lost 3/4 of my hearing in both ears and that 24/7 I have constant ringing in both ears.  Makes it difficult to listen or hear at times.  There are some actions I tell people they can do so that I can hear them better.  First, call my name.  When you have my attention, I will be more apt to listen to you and hear you.  You can also do that with skype, facetime or other communication devices.  Second, pause.  When you pause it gives me time to fully focus on you.  Third, while still looking into my face, speak slowly, moderately, and as me if I understood what was said.  I won't be insulted.  Fourth, be prepared to do the same in reverse when I want to talk with you.  Fifth, watch out for a small word, "to" in your vocabulary.  Don't talk "to" me.  Talk with me.  Two way conversation is hearing the other person.  Fifth, if at all possible have a conversation with me face to face.  It's always more productive and we can have lunch afterwards.
     As I've read through the Bible multiple times I'm still amazed that the Word tells that God's people didn't listen to God.  Who were they listening to?  Themselves.  If someone doesn't want to hear you or you don't want to hear them, there is no respect and no communication.  Kind of like a committee in Congress!  I am amazed at the parents, grandparents, other relatives and babysitters who tell the children what to do, what to day, what to like and dislike; all the while not listening and hearing themselves.  Your children are only doing what you've taught them to do.  So, when they don't come to visit, ask yourself whether or not you've created an environment where they would rather be somewhere else.  Telling you kids or others kids that they are to be "seen but not heard" only sets the stage when they are adults.  If you truly believe that you reap what you so, take responsibility of sowing a crop worth harvesting instead of weeds.  There are people who listen and hear out there.  Are you one of them?  Remember it's always your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment