Friday, December 18, 2015

Making it up as I go along.

     That's what a lot of us do as we approach the holiday season that should be joyous and uplifting.  While the majority of civilization puts forth the happy face, those who suffer from depression, anxiety and other maladies fight just to get out of bed.  For them taking each day as they go is sometimes the best that they can do.  I would imagine that many of those who Jesus healed were in much the same boat.  People can only have faith that a miracle is coming their way for so long before that hope begins to wane.  Who we are when no one is looking tells the story for most of us.  It would be helpful if the world understood.  They often not only don't understand but are in denial over their own issues.  Jesus is the reason for the season!  Yes, that's true.  Being true doesn't necessarily make for a happy and fulfilled holiday for some.  Expectations seem to rise beginning in November and suddenly dropping off the 2nd of January.  The emotional roller coaster of the holidays take their toll.  Turning the holiday into a good time for all means being real. 
     For many years I wrestled with my issues and put on that "happy face" bearing my load all alone.  I didn't realize that people noticed that load but never said anything.  It's not easy to be in the quandary of not wanting to kill someone else's holiday with what's going on inside of you.  When I began to tell those I trusted what was going on inside of me the doors with some opened while the doors with others were slammed shut.  Today I know who I can be vulnerable to and who I cannot.  Today there is celebration in my heart that is honest and engaging.  The baby Jesus was God vulnerable to the world he was born into.  God knows my vulnerability.  There is no temptation in my world that God doesn't know and feel.  While shepherds may have watched their flocks by night in Bethlehem, sometimes we need to just understand the angels stand watch over us as well every day and every night. 
     The Christmas holiday is about Jesus and the salvation he ushered into this fallen world.  It's not about getting gold toed socks or computers.  Nor is it about giving the same.  What is the salvation you can give each other?  Can you take a moment or two and just REALLY listen to the other person.  That might be the greatest gift.  Maybe you can pause your hectic life long enough to bring grace and mercy to someone you know or maybe even someone you don't know.  Fifty thousand service men and women are homeless and won't have a place to go much less celebrate the Christmas holiday.  Hundreds of thousands of service men and women won't be going home for Christmas and there won't be any semblance to an atmosphere of the freedom we have to not only celebrate Christmas but also to worship the King who was a baby.  As important as family is, we narrow the definition to much and exclude so many.  Perhaps this Christmas we can give the gift of hospitality, caring, empathy, love and hope to those around us.  They don't require special wrapping and display for the world to see.  They just require an outstretched hand extending from grateful hearts.
     I don't know where this Christmas holiday will take me.  I hope it will be where God wants me to go and witness of his love and grace that a baby long ago brought to a world in a manger in a barn amongst the animals.  Remember the child this Christmas and let the Holy Spirit be the guide of your gifts to the family around you.  Be that present to the stranger among you and perhaps you will be someone's angel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment