Friday, December 11, 2015

Life wasn't fair, isn't fair and never will be fair.

     Just once it would be nice to see fairness meted out to everyone at the same time.  That, of course, is up to each of us.  As long as we are looking for fairness for ourselves we will not be that concerned about fairness for others.  I've lived a long, hard but very good life.  I've created more problems and hurt more people than I care to admit.  We can all blame someone or something for our current situation.  Whether we were abused, neglected, rejected or even abandoned, there are others who have had it worse. Should you have had it well in life, there are those who have had it better.  There is among Christians a false belief that we deserve this or that just because we are Christian.  The only thing we Christians deserve is eternity in hell.  Jesus changed all that though and we can enjoy eternity in heaven instead.  We didn't earn it.  We didn't buy it.  We didn't inherit it.  We didn't barter for it.  Heaven was gifted to us by God himself through his Son Jesus.  All Jesus asks us to do is be selfish one last time.  He wants us to take something precious and at personal cost for the very salvation of our souls. 
      If life was fair; what would it look like?  For he who has no shoes, shoes for everyone would be fair.  For she who has no food, food for everyone would be fair.  For those living on the streets, housing for all would be fair.  For those with no Christmas presents, everyone having a single Christmas present would be fair.  But life isn't fair is it?  Far from it.  Each of these circumstances have two players.  The first player is the one who is without.  The second is the one with.  We each, every day, fall into one of these categories.  You and I are what determine is fair.  I used to have 3 wardrobes in my closet.  Clothes for when I gained weight, clothes for now and clothes that I probably would never fit in again!  Several years ago I was standing in front of my packed closet and decided that I wasn't being fair.  I had plenty that wasn't being used for one reason or another. So, I took it upon myself to eliminate not only the too big and too small but also the extra clothes, shoes and jackets that fit me at that time.  I reduced my closet by 2/3 and had several large bags full to give away.  I didn't bring them to a used clothing place.  Nor did I donate them to an agency to disperse. I took them to a homeless encampment I knew of.  I looked into the eyes of those who were way beyond thankful and felt that I was being fair.  In return I knew God had been more than fair with me.  I've continued this practice 2-3 times a year and feel blessed blessing others.
     Coming to the conclusion that life isn't fair is easy.  Being okay with that thought isn't easy at all for me.  Why isn't life fair?  Why did this happen to him/her?  How come he/she died and so and so lived?  You know the questions as well as I do.  Day to day living is engulfed with the unfair elements of a world fallen in sin.  In order for fairness to reign, one needs to be fair without the thought that life would be fair for them.  That's the example that Jesus showed us in his life, death and resurrection. Because of his being more than fair with us, we are blessed with the chance to live eternally with him.  We long for that day when that will happen.  In the meantime, today we need to practice fairness to others.  I'm not talking about being fair with Christians or business associates or even clients. I'm talking about being fair with everyone who comes and goes in our life on a daily basis.  We do that for our pets, children (most of the time) and family; why won't we do it for everyone?  Because we are biased.  I sit back in my recliner, watch the news and cheer when the bad guy gets what he deserves.  You do it too.  Fairness is tested when we exercise fairness with everyone who comes and goes in our lives. 
     In order to have true fairness for the days to come in our lives there needs to be a consistent surrender to what God wants us to do every moment of every day.  I fail here every day.  I see, hear and know when I'm supposed to be fair and am selfish instead.  Not letting that person into traffic because I was there first, not holding the elevator for that fellow employee you can't stand, demanding your "rights" and a host of other choices take us out of the battle Jesus intends to win.  By the way, he has won that battle already.  He still wants us to continue the battle for souls here on earth.  Your and my life is the only Gospel message some will hear.  How are you living?  Do you reflect Jesus or self.  It's our choice but lives depend upon that choice.  I've made many decisions to be selfish instead of sharing Christ to others.  That wasn't isn't and never will be fair. 

No comments:

Post a Comment