Thursday, December 31, 2015

Eyes wide open or blinders in place.

     Looking back over the past year reveals that we survived the year!  For some that is monumental while for others survival is not enough.  I survived because Jesus isn't done with me yet here on planet earth.  While I long to go home and be with Jesus; I know that there is a reason I wake each morning and draw breath.  I'm blessed beyond measure and so are many that I know whether they admit it or not.  My job, should I choose to accept it, is to go forth and share my blessed life with others.  Sounds simple.  Why do I make it so difficult?  Perhaps the answer to that comes within the opening title.  If we choose to have our eyes wide open we are responsible for what they see.  What we see therefore directs us to what Jesus wants us to think, say and do.  Bare minimum there are so many different areas where prayer can be the focus.  The other choice is to have blinders on.  Blinders, for those of you who don't know, are on the sides of the bridle on a horse that force the animal to only be able to look forward.  Focus on only what is actually in front of them.  When we put blinders on we fall into trouble by choosing to not see the world Jesus has brought us into for his ministry. 
     When I survey my year will I find that I had my eyes wide open or did I have my blinders on.  Both were and are every day a choice that each of us makes.  We can't as Christians deny our choices.  We can see the world from a blinders on view and only see what we want to see.  Like when we are stopped in traffic and someone is holding a sign asking for help.  Do we stare straight ahead or do we look them in the eye?  Do we practice selective seeing, hearing and doing so that we aren't inconvenienced?  With blinders firmly in place we leave our place of worship and become, once again, part of the world around us.  No different from anyone else we leave no mark on the people we interact with and our witness cannot be seen or felt.  Simply saying to someone "be blessed" is empty unless we are desiring that they really be blessed.  For that we need to take off our blinders.  Removing them we see the greater world from Jesus' point of view.  He sees those who are in need and brings you and I to them to be the blessing.  This past year I failed many times at this.  This coming year will bring more of the same unless I take off my blinders.
     Having one's eyes wide open is dangerous.  For the Christian having our eyes wide open means we see the world from Christ's point of view.  Instead of people engaged in different sin, he sees them as his creation.  Precious and wonderful creatures needing the saving love and grace of Jesus.  Jesus doesn't dismiss the sin; he loves the sinner.  When we have our eyes wide open we too need to stop seeing the sin and see the sinner.  They are no different than us except they may not know Jesus.  Your sin and my sin and their sin is all sin.  Your forgiveness opened your eyes to the love of God.  In order for others to see the love of God YOU and I must have our lives wide open as well.  Nothing hidden.  Do we really look around our closets and say, "I have to many things."  Do we look at our pantry and say the same thing?  How many times have we thrown things away rather than give them to someone to use?  With our eyes wide open we need to see that people are not to be thrown away.  Didn't see that coming.  Do we give away our faith?  Yes, it's nice to give away possessions and to bless others less fortunate.  The rubber meets the road when we give away our faith in such a manner that people desperately want whatever it is you have!  You have the gift of life!  Won't you give it away to those who don't? 
     Eyes wide open or blinders in place...both are  your choice today and every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment