Saturday, December 13, 2014

You can please some of the people some of the time...

     ...but not all the people all of the time.  Over the years I have found that you can't even please some of the people anytime.  But, as Christians, are we supposed to be a people who please everyone but God?  That is more and more the challenge with every day we move towards the return of Jesus.  What to do?  I'm okay with not pleasing all of the people all of the time.  It's the "some of the people" thing.  I don't want to please anyone but God.  However, I am unable to do that all of the time either.  He wants me to behave in such a manner that is pleasing to him and brings glory to him.  Under my own power this is impossible.  To please God most of the time is even tough for me on most days.  That, however, doesn't make our task null and void.  The Bible tells us to choose this day whom you will follow.  Joshua says: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15.  Jesus echoes those words when he tells us to follow him. 
     This isn't just about what we confess with our mouths.  Nor is this just about what we think.  This isn't even about where we go.  It's about who we are.  Are we being Christ to the world?  If the answer is yes, we would not seek the praises of man.  Who do you and I serve?  We are encouraged to be open with our faith so that others may see what Christ has done in us.  For those who follow Jesus and do their best to live Jesus to our world there will be no middle ground.  For as we live our faith, there will always be those who say we are overly religious, those who say we aren't religious enough and those who just don't care about our faith as they have their own.  As I look back over my life I see times when I have been overly religious, under religious and not religious at all.  I have times where people saw Jesus in part or whole because I had a relationship and not a religiosity that propelled my thoughts, words, and deeds. 
     Did I mention that I have been a hypocrite in varying degrees over my lifetime also?  I have.  Unfortunately I have more experience and training in that area of life than I like to admit.  The world around us doesn't practice what they preach as well.  Why are Christians still persecuted and sometimes killed?  Why is it wrong for Christians to pray, sing or even just worship in public places?  Where is our defender here on earth?  We, Christians, do not need an earthly defender.  We have a heavenly defender in Jesus who was, is and always will be God.  So, why is it then, that we shy away from doing what Jesus wants us to do?  It's Christmas, say Merry Christmas.  It's Easter, say Happy Easter.  Two days out of the year and we back down from even doing this.  What is the matter with us?  Why do we get all shy or embarrassed when we are confronted about our faith?
     Here is my challenge to you as well as myself.  Live life as if Jesus was coming back today to bring those who are true believers home with him. What would you do differently?  If you knew that Jesus was coming back tonight at 8:38 PM what would you do?  Would you talk with that co-worker you have been nudged by the Holy Spirit to talk with about Jesus?  Would you talk with your friends, wife, children, and others who intersect with our lives?  What would suddenly come about should this date and time be revealed?  Would there be a new urgency to do what we have been avoiding?  If loving Jesus and belonging to him were a crime, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  We don't like that question.  We don't like it because we become  uncomfortable with who we really are and whom we really represent. 
     Today, this moment and hour, I will do my best to be my best for Jesus.  No promises that I will be perfect.  I'll wait for perfection until I go to be with Jesus.  The walk has been getting more and more difficult with choices that are pointed out to us from all directions.  So what do you say?  Should we pray for each other?  Yes.  Should we give grace to others?  Yes,  Don't compromise what you believe.  No one has a right to take what believe and throw it way.  Neither do you and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment