Thursday, December 18, 2014

Baby trees!

     Most people who know me have run into my love of rescuing baby trees of various kinds.  I don't go out looking for them; rather they appear where I am working or playing or whatever.  They seem so vulnerable and could be wiped out in seconds with a mower that strays off the line drawn to protect the tree.  My favorite rescue is a long needles pine that I found when it was about 3 inches tall.  I have kept that tree and it is now in it's last pot before I go to the front yard and plant it.  The tree is now 6 feet tall.  I have given away or planted probably close to 1000 trees over time.  Some were last chance of life and some were beautiful and lush.  Why people give away trees is beyond me.  At least that's what my friends and family know about me.  I will give away trees to a good home.  Some rescued baby trees have bit the dust.  Some have lived and are still excellent examples of trees planted in the wild.  At first my wife tried to get me to stop the art of saving baby trees.  She now knows that it's a lost cause and planted firmly in my mind.  I guess you could say I'm obsessed by this element of my life.
     I have fathered and been dad to  7 kids. 2 babies that died ,and 3 step kids.  Quite the group.  I love each and every one of these kids.  I have taught them as much as they have allowed me to teach them.  They are great kids and 5 are now adults with one joining the adult world in 5 months.  I've had the pleasure of praying with 4 of them to accept Jesus as Savior.  What a privilege!  I've failed each one of my kids more than once.  So, I'm human.  God can work with that.  When something new comes up and is brought to me, I'm back in the business of taking care of a baby tree.  Letting go of my kids is impossible.  I'll hold each one in my heart for eternity.  They in turn are holding those who they love in their hearts.  Who can ask for anymore than that?  While each of my kids is a separate person; collectively they are a family.  From time to time they are at odds with each other despite anything I can or have done.  I am not fond of my kids being either the victim or the foe toward each other.  Just like God doesn't want me to be.
     There was this one tree (Douglas Fir) I had rescued from a construction site.  It was about 6 feet tall and was beautiful.  This tree was on my mind all day!  So, like any other sane person, after I stopped working I dug it up and put it in my truck.  When I arrived at my home I realized I had no space for this tree.  I went in search of someplace to plant it.  I found that place near a dog park, baseball field and park with walking trails.  There it is planted and about 12 feet tall today.  I'm sure many have walked by this tree and not even bothered looking at it.  Their value of the tree and mine are as opposite as they can be.  It is serving it's purpose.  Am I serving mine?  I know many people who have been saved and begun their lives as a Christian after being transplanted from the world to Jesus.  Having a part in the process has been wonderful.  Baby trees have grown and developed over the years.  We think of what we can and cannot do for Jesus.  It's rather simple, like the tree I just described, we have a purpose.  Our purpose is to bloom where we are planted.  Then to help others in the same way we were helped.  The cycle keeps repeating itself.
     I was enthralled with a scene I came upon in the forest.  A mighty tree had fallen long ago and was laying across 60 to 80 feet of the forest floor.  What was amazing were all the baby trees growing from the trunk.  Even though the tree was dead, it was and is alive.  Rebirth from the efforts of the mother or "nurse" tree brought about many trees added to the forest.  All necessary in it's own rights.  The question remains whether we are in a dangerous part of the world or the safe and loving arms of Jesus.  Are we doing something or nothing.  It matters if I rescue one baby tree just as much as if I rescued fifty.  Are you doing something with what you have been blessed with?  Give away your faith this Christmas season.  Rescue a baby tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment