Monday, December 22, 2014

My middle name is James.

     Most of you reading had a mother that, when mad, would say, "Steven James you come here right now!"  We knew she meant that if it came to middle names.  This was the only situations in my life where my middle name was evoked by my mom.  My dad never did this.  Mind you, this occurred in times of anger always.  That and the fact that I was within hearing range.  When mom would call out my first and middle name I knew better than to not come.  To do so might bring worse.  In the end, all turned out just fine.  It's not that we knew a lot of "Steven James" because there wasn't one in our circle.  The question is, did I learn anything during these episodes?  Yes, I did.  The word "coddling" wasn't even invented until I was an adult!
     My teachers were able to the same with "Steven Hawley!" using my last name as if there were more than one "Steven" in the class.  I don't remember anyone with my last name in the school.  I don't remember doing this with my kids or anyone else's kids for that matter.  With the spelling of some of the kids today using the middle name seems like a separate accomplishment when used when someone is able to pronounce the any of the name.  It' not just an oddity as much as this phenomenon was a rite of passage issue.  At a certain age (usually puberty) the phrase was no longer used because it was no longer effective. 
     Names are important in all of society whether that name is family tradition, the name is uniquely mine.  It's uniquely yours as well.  We each have a name that distinguishes us from all the other Stevens in that world we were raised in.  We, in turn, continue the tradition by doing the same with our kids.  We want them to have a name that stands out and is a description of what we feel about our children when they are born.  We want, in some cases, our offspring to carry on the family name.  Our children may not like it but it's for the family and not for the child.  The process of naming a child becomes a bit of our identity mixed in with theirs.  As such our children learn "our way" in this world. 
     There is a unique set of Scripture in the Bible that talks about our name.  In the Old Testament Scripture tells us that God knew our name before we were born.  The practice of naming then was also important in carrying on the family name.  In the New Testament we see where one name was given; another name was given by the Lord.  So Simon became Peter and Saul became Paul.  Both name changed with their drastic turn around of life for them.  Their new name was more closely associated with the will of God than the will of men.  Both men were radically changed and empowered by God to do their ministry assignment.  Finally, there is the book of Revelation where we are told that "those who overcome will be given a new name.  Wow!  Going with the first premise we see the earthly name given by family.  Going through the second and into the third we learn that the God who knows fully has a name for us.  Given by him for us before our birth.  We don't know what that name is anymore than we know what our name will be. 
     For today let your heart, soul and mind stay on the Lord Jesus.  He knows your name and calls you and I to do his will and receive his love.

No comments:

Post a Comment