Friday, January 19, 2018

There are times a Christian must be inactive.

    Woke up yesterday with a cold graciously given to me by my wife.  I don't get sick often and have been more than fortunate over the years.  So, when this cold hit, it took me to my knees.  Not to pray but to barf.  I'm a baby when I'm sick.  Maybe some of you can relate to this phenomena.  My theory begins with just letting nature take it's course without resistant once I do get sick.  Then to wait out the storm for a few days and come out of that same storm to resume life.  It won't happen today.  Maybe tomorrow.  This is one of those times you don't want contact with people without a mask on your face.  The theory has begun and now has gone into stage two, acceptance.  It's not that I want to admit that I'm sick and some would say that it's because of a lack of faith.  I don't believe that.  I can accept that virus's come and go and are passed on from others in spite of our best attempts to avoid the whole thing.  Moving along in theoryland I find myself thinking (that's dangerous) that there is somehow a way/means to avoid the inevitable.  There is not.  I can wish and want with no clear changing the course of what's going on in my body.  Today I hit the bottom of the illness.  Kneeling in front of the toilet and puking.  That's the bottom.  All things go up from here.  Indeed I do feel better and am able to write the blog.  Here is the caveat.  Jesus was with me before I got sick, during my sickness and after the sickness is over he will still be at my side.  How can you beat that kind of attention!?
     As I get older (I'm 64)  I find that my body doesn't heal as quickly as it once did.  However, I still have the expectations of how my body functioned when I was 18.  Sometimes we have to admit our limits and acknowledge the changes that take place in our bodies.  It takes longer for me to heal than when I was younger.  I must not be impatient with that process.  Since I'm retired that's not really a problem.  Okay, maybe a little bit of a problem!  I know that when I'm through this healing that my immune system will be stronger if I've taken care of myself.  The cold that is going around my area has been one that tends to re-occur and come back for visits.  I hope that's not the case but if it is, I'll march through my theory and deal with it.  This time of inactive  living means I am gracious enough to not expose others to the virus no matter the tricks played on my conscious that I need to go and do.  I don't need to go nor do have to do.  People are understanding if you communicate your situation and limitations to them up front.  It's not like I'm calling in sick to watch a soccer match!
     There are people watching me as I go through this time.  My children have been watching to see what "dad does when he's sick" with great attentiveness.  They want to know what works and what doesn't.  Other's are glad I'm not visiting them in the hospital or dropping by for a cup of coffee and fellowship.  The healthy part of the theory is being able to not cause anyone to be disabled like the sick person may be.  It doesn't mean I can't text, phone call, or write letters.  It means that even though my witness is limited, my witness isn't dead.  Continuing to live the Christian life in spite of times like these is a very valuable witness of constant commitment to Christ.  I hope you don't get sick with the cold, flue or anything else.  I hope, if you do, that you maintain your witness as well as you can  It's always your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment