Sunday, June 30, 2019

Why I'm my own worst enemy!

     The simple answer is because I sin.  However, in my life I seem to take the simple and raise it to a new and profound level of complexity.  This makes it easier for me to forget what I've learned and instead of self correcting (like my phone!) a new script is created burying my simple with complexity.  It's not that I necessarily want to do this.  I could use Flip Wilson's claim "The devil made me do it!" and that would be the easy way out.  Not so in my life.  Yes, the devil and his demons do inject themselves in my life to take my eyes off Jesus.  No, I'm not possessed by demons.  Yes, I do sin.  No, it's not what Jesus wants.  My innate want to be the god of my own world is the root of the problem and that's why I'm my own worst enemy.  You may be your worst enemy as well.
     If you, like me, have a sense of entitlement of any kind in your life; sin will be it's center.  Like the need to be right, need to be in control, need to have what you want when you want it, need to put others in their place and have a need to blame; you have entitlement issues even as I do.  Not that I've all the listed items but that entitlement of one kind or another has a root and steals your joy.  I know that whenever I'm in entitlement mode I've pushed Jesus aside and am living in the flesh.  That should be a glaring sign to me.  But, in entitlement mode, I am blinded to all of that.  Whenever my guard is lowered there is the possibility I will be attacked and sin.  You and I aren't so different.
     Rationalization and justification are unfortunately in everyone's toolbox.  Excuses and even self righteousness can be placed in those two words.  Lies? Godly anger?  "Not my jobitis."  are all ways we encourage rationalization and justification.  Do you tell people things in "Christian love"?  Yeah, been there and done that too!  My life of 66 years has been full of more failure than success all because I'm my own worst enemy.  Fortunately, there is the Holy Spirit and my Christian friends who remind me whom I'm supposed to be serving.  It's not the enemy!  Most of us have a "hearing problem" when it comes to our Christian walk.  I know that itching ears hear what they want to hear.  That too is part of my being my own worst enemy.
      When I move away from Jesus living through me, grace to myself and others disappears.  By myself I am nothing and have nothing to offer.  Should I die and let Jesus live through this body, like Paul, I can be all things to all people.  When I'm busy with entitlement issues that cannot and does not happen.  Remember, it's always my choice.  It's always your choice too!

No comments:

Post a Comment